Hi Sergio, List,

I wanted to briefly follow up on this. Even though July is over, I don't
think there's an August discussion, so hopefully it's still ok to respond.

I thought the questions of the relation between Giles' work and Heidegger's
conference was interesting, and the matter-of-fact, possibly flippant,
answer equally interesting. It brought some very open-ended questions to
mind: What type of relation is to be desired between an artwork and a
matter of philosophy or theory? A relationship of translation? A one-to-one
relationship? Appropriation? Is theory a muse to artists? Vise-versa?

Obviously the answers are case-by-case, if answerable at all. Maybe it's
interesting to think about these questions in relation to July's experiment
on the list though. I think the various responses to each artwork--the
various mental maps of interpretation illustrated by each
contributor--point to a mix of the above possibilities. And nobody laid out
a detailed investigation between an artwork and any single example of
theory. But maybe that was because of who I invited, and/or the structure
of the responses. I wonder if other contributors would have pursued this
path?

Best wishes,
Dan