Hello everyone, and welcome to the September -empyre soft skinned space
discussion.

This week I am delighted to introduce our first two guests. Two people
whose work and research I admire greatly, Paul Lloyd Sargent (
http://recycledcarbon.com/), and Alex Young (http://www.worldshaving.info/
<http://www.worldshaving.info/>).

*Our topic:*

As political borders morph from physical demarcations into an undulating
system of technologically mediated philosophical boundaries between
ideologies and influence, our interpretations of sovereignty, individually,
and collectively have shifted. From the US election to Brexit, and the
on-going refugee crisis, artists, and scholars are responding as
technocrats seem unable, or unwilling to tackle the mechanisms inherent to
their platforms that allow for unfettered dissemination of (mis)information
designed to destabilize ostensibly democratic institutions. In this month’s
–empyre soft-skinned space discussion, we will use the work and research of
our invited guests to look into how we arrived at this point by
investigating borders, conspiracy, the rise of nationalism, and the ways
artists are shaping conversations about what lies ahead.

*Guest Bios:*

Paul Lloyd Sargent is a multidisciplinary artist, writer, and video editor
living between Brooklyn, Syracuse, and Wellesley Island, NY. Embracing a
contemporary amalgam of emerging media, experimental geography, community
organizing, sustainable culture, and environmental activism as art
practice, Sargent’s work investigates the impact of the international
shipping industry on the ecologies, economies, and communities along the
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River.

Alex Young is a multidisciplinary artist, writer, and curator whose
research based practice employs critical and experimental historiography in
exploring the motivating factors and end results—and the subsequent
potential for disconnection between the two—in the construction of the
built environment.  His solo and collaborative works have been presented at
numerous venues internationally including Conflux at NYU, Brooklyn
International Performance Art Festival, and Flux Factory in New York, NY;
Kiasma Museum and Alkovi Galleria in Helsinki, Finland; ACC Galerie in
Weimar, Germany; Stadtische Museen Zittau in Zittau, Germany; Spanien 19C
in Aarhus, Denmark; SDAI in San Diego, CA; Beyond/ In Western New York
Biennial, UB Art Gallery, and Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center in
Buffalo, NY amongst others.

*Paul and Alex, perhaps you can start by introducing your work as artists,
curators, and theorists, and begin to speculate on how the topic reflects
aspects of your practice, or on how you see your practice adapting to the
precarity outlined above. *

All the best,

Byron

--

*Byron Rich Assistant Professor of Art*
*Director of Art & Technology*

*Allegheny College*
Doane Hall of Art, A204
Meadville, PA
(o) 814.332.3381
www.byronrich.com

*Interim Chair of **Exhibitions** & Events - New Media **Caucus*
www.newmediacaucus.org

*Editor - Empyre Soft Skinned Space*
www.empyre.library.cornell.edu/ <http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/>

Click here