Betreff: Fwd: Re: [-empyre-] NEW ART CONTEXTS
Von: Shu Lea Cheang
An: Franz Xaver

dear empyres

here tanja from stadtwerkstatt. many thanks for shu lea's introduction!

i am posting now a conversation between franz xaver and myself on the [loch] (the hole), which was published in STWST's newspaper versorgerin, september 2019 issue #123. (http://versorgerin.stwst.at/). It is an excerpt of a longer conversation.

we understand the project idea we are talking about as a current exemplary approach for new art contexts, and for an art that remains programmatically  unfinished. the dialogue makes brief reflections: on a hole that should remain without deeper reason. and that - and moreover! - was not even dug. the text was published on the occasion of the showcase extravaganza STWST48x5 STAY UNFINISHED.

here below now the excerpt on [loch] (hole).

hope you enjoy digging the non-existent

and hope to hear from your unfinished contexts.

tanja

EXCERPT [LOCH]

Tanja Brandmayr: At the beginning of the planning of STWST48x5 STAY UNFINISHED we wanted to dig an actual, oversized hole - as an unfinished project. We wanted to invite as many people as possible: from STWST people to a whole scene that perhaps no longer fully understands what regular cultural activity and art production still mean in times of cutbacks and shifts to the right. We also had the idea of inviting an international Ars audience, who might have been interested in a really different program at the so-called interface of art, technology and society. Despite many efforts, it failed on the spot where this project of an oversized hole could have been possible. We have played through some approaches. Within the framework of STWST48x5 STAY UNFINISHED, two projects were actually created that resulted from these fundamental considerations - I'm only touching on it, because it can be read through in the program itself: My "Deep Drilling for Contracts" goes into the symbolic depth of the agreements, your "Sandhole" is a concave hollowed out sand hole, which finally goes up - in other words, the concave hole receives hydrogen radiation from the universe. And so back to the original idea of the hole: I like the idea of the hole as an irrational act, as geometry directed into the depths, as an unpurified silt of meaning, as an unfinished sub-project, as a zero zone in which things connect differently than on the surface. What is now a reference to the theory that I like to reflect for Quasikunst ... ... What fascinates you about this idea of a hole that remains without a deeper reason? Do we perhaps even call it the idea of an anti-negative space?

Franz Xaver: By the anti-negative space you mean perhaps the "nothing" that connects Quasikunst with Infolab here. Behind this is a recurring thought: in order to create something with a sculpture, it is necessary to include the negative form, the "non-existent". First you have to create space and think the "nothing" - to get space for the "something". The surface becomes the transition, the outermost shell, the interface. It thus becomes the most important element of a sculpture. It is the slow emergence of the "nothing" that comes to meaning in the elaboration of the "hole". In the sense of "Unfinished" it is the process in which the hole is created and produces an ever-increasing "nothing". The hole must never be finished. It must be dug deeper and deeper. It is like a recurring dream. I see an incredibly huge hole in which artists stand with shovels and wheelbarrows and transport away material to create something. Why we work physically in the age of machines is still unclear to me. I see the shape of the hole as a large parabola. Because only with a parabolic shape of a hole is it possible to continue digging and transport the material on spiral-shaped paths out of the hole without any aids or supporting formwork. The fact that there is an automatic focal point in a concave hole is a side effect. In this focal point the radiation of the universe can be bundled very easily and thus the past can be brought into the present. The "nothing" in the form of a hole, or the transition, becomes a time machine.
Another meta-level of an unfinished hole is the interpretation of terms. Something/nothing, inward/outward, life/death, etc. We live in fields with opposite terms. The fields are mostly very subjective and mean different things to different people. With "culture" we try to agree on the meaning of these terms. We look for common denominators. These terms become more and more objectified, which facilitates the communication between individuals. 1 and 0, the something and the nothing, are very objectified concepts. They are also the smallest unit of computer science. In order to enable machine information processing, however, as many terms as possible must be standardized. We are thus in a great upheaval of our culture resulting from the digital age. The progressive objectification of our everyday life counteracts the individual and subjective feelings of people. Unfortunately, there is very little interest in critically questioning this development. In the flood of information, personal, individual points of view no longer get through. Unfortunately, we as society as a whole do not ask ourselves whether we want this development at all. In STWST this leaves us with nothing else to do but to continue to shape the NOTHING, to dig and to hope that the hole will get bigger and bigger in order to have room for something new at some point.