> But the thickness of the screen implies in a metaphor as well: it
> likewise means the space that is produced by or contained within the
> image –

This is an interesting line for me in relation to an Augmented Reality project I
have been working on for some time. The Artvertiser positions any advertisement
in a video feed as a public 'screen', treated and considered as such, for the
purposes of exhibiting video or still images.

Advertisements encountered in the urban environment (or even in a feature film)
are detected and substituted for art ('Artverts') in realtime on a handheld
device, like a smartphone. This I've called Product Replacement.

I'd be interested to hear how the repurposing and positioning of planar
advertisements as 'screens' (already within a handheld screen) holds up in the
context of this theme.

Project page:

        http://theartvertiser.com

Video documentation:

        http://vimeo.com/3464018

Consider also Plato's 'screen' as one we all bear, the plane of visual
cognition:

        "The image stands at the junction of a light which comes from the object
        and another which comes from the gaze."

In this sense all screens are very thin..

Cheers,

--
Julian Oliver
home: New Zealand