..on Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:23:18PM +0100, Simon Biggs wrote:
> Is the screen thus a sub-set of the family of mirrors ­ or mirrors a sub-set
> of screens ­ or neither?

A difficult question.

I would say that Mirrors belong to the set of Screens only if we consider that
we write to mirrors, as an inset plane of representation. A physicist would say
it is the world that writes to mirrors before we ever can. That light is faster
than intent, and thus art.

A rehearsing actor may consider otherwise..

If however all culture is mass reflection - in the critical and social sense -
then all screens do belong to the set of mirrors, yes.

Chairs!

Julian