Hello all!

After spending yesterday's Future of the Forum symposium at Berkeley
hearing big-wig social media executives dodge questions regarding
intersubjectivity and marginality, while still preaching net
neutrality (from their perspectives in support of their own companies
and therefore the online communities that they reach), I have a lot of
questions about online anonymity, individual as opposed to collective
action and/or responsibility online, and the temporality of the net.

Should I feel relieved that Google Wave is going to be 100% open
source and that people like Jane McGonigal with the Institute of the
Future are creating games that encourage a positive future and deal
with issues such energy conservation? Or, should I continue to feel
discouraged by PhD student Jen Schradie's research on the direct
correlation between class and online activity, and by the fact that
many games are conceived and funded by the military, like DARPA's Red
Balloon Challenge that occurred just yesterday?
(https://networkchallenge.darpa.mil/default.aspx).

I would argue that spreadable media is not necessarily marked by the
now and although it might be presented as "ephemeral" data, may indeed
be a product produced over a longer period of time. Yesterday Jimmy
Wales, founder of Wikipedia, reminded us all that despite a seemingly
immediate action available online, most programs that enable these
interactions are built and conceived very carefully and with specific
attention to long term affects on its users and the online
environment. As a programmer myself who uses online networks in
aesthetic products I constantly remind myself that although I may
conceptually use online networking to present the theoretical now, in
practice these products take more careful planning and political
situation than if I were to throw my body on a stage and move around.

When we think about viral/spreadable forms we must remember: whose
network are we working in? It seems that if we work to keep this
question in mind we are more enabled to disrupt online architectures
that were created by and for the military, and take advantage of
opportunities to spend years developing our own networks designed to
facilitate a space for contemplation that furthers more progressive
aims.

Thank you for bearing with my musings as a process what was a full and
challenging day yesterday!
Ashley