For Lynn H. who wrote: "...should I continue to feel discouraged ...  that many
games are conceived and funded by the military, like DARPA's Red Balloon
Challenge that occurred just yesterday?"

I wouldn't recommend feeling too bad about the fact that most of research into
the more interesting games today is funded by the US military. The US Military
use various forms of 'visuals' to overcome the greatest challenge faced by
commanders today -- communicating with so many incoming soldiers who are
functional illiterates. It is why their training manuals have taken on the
appearance of comic books for over twenty-five years.

Besides, the US military hasn't beaten anyone except Granada since 1945 (the
CIA has been a far more effective neo'military' force). The virtual world of
video games seems such a natural place for the US military to occupy itself as,
for many decades, it has been only a virtual power.

My best

Gerry