Really interesting Virginia, hits the spot (for me anyway). Only, whereas you say "if life is commoditized and art is collapsed into life then art is commoditized" I wonder about the reverse: "if art is un-commoditized and life is collapsed into art then life is un- commoditized." I see great potential for new media art and life to fold together ... "Life", though commoditized, is also networked/ connected, augmented, hybrid, etc.

You say "then complicity becomes a non-issue because everything is complicit." I agree. The separation/elevation of art from/above life, in my opinion, is a synthetic construct manufactured by the powerful (Church, landowners, politicians, corporations... art market) for ideology and profit. I was a painter involved in the anti-apartheid movement in the 1980s, and I considered my work to be "political." A radio interviewer asked me whether artists SHOULD "be political"; I answered, "no more or less than anyone else." In my view, people/ artists who are disengaged from life -- who choose not to pay attention to the lives of others beyond their immediate circles, who choose not to vote, who choose not examine their own inaction or the "bad" actions of others -- are absolutely complicit.

Jo