At the most general level, Simon, your description rings true to me.
That acknowledged, I would point out that there is huge human
variability at every level, from atomic biology on up, and each level
has aspects that are discrete unto themselves. At another high level of
abstraction, for instance, biologists understand that work accomplished
with the living organism (in vivo) is different from in the petri dish
or under the microscope and so on down the chain of analytic tools (in
vitro). Individuals, mediating and being mediated, are not seamlessly
alike, either in their basic equipment or in their life experiences,
culture/sub-cultures, etc. So there is always a need for decoding and it
gets really interesting because of this need to explore the "fit" or
lack of it.

Christina