On 15 Jul 2010, at 10:47, Simon Biggs wrote:

> As I suggested in my earlier post today, which Kriss picked up on, I am
> looking at agency and creativity from an autopoietic point of view. I am not
> seeking to situate agency in the individual but in the collective and,
> specifically, in the in-between. This could be considered a "gathering",
> although this suggests a sense of common purpose, individuals recognising
> they can enhance their capacity to act, to bring themselves and the world
> into being, through collective action. That isn't what I am trying to get
> at. Of course, I am wearing my artists hat when I suggest this and am not
> really equipped to defend what is possibly an indefensible position.
> Nevertheless, I think it is an interesting line of thought.

Yes, this is an interesting line, but the question would become what you could
mean by agency, if it is an emergent property of interactions, and thus located
outside individual actors, other than a kind of 'social force' - one that is
not within any one person's control, authorship, and therefore, not really
easily covered by 'agency' as it is commonly understood.
I think you might be veering towards some notion of the autopoietic as itself
as kind of force, the momentum of which bestows form on those those things and
persons (interactors in your terms I think) that partake of it?
But is there a danger here of mixing a descriptive term with a thing that does
something? What we call autopoeisis is not a force or thing at all, but a way
of describing the way certain elements of relationships condition one another
in an ongoing process that is not 'autopoeisis', but people living human lives.
The 'danger' (well, the line it might take us down) of thinking of 'it' as
'something' is that we are not too far here from a much older notion of social
emergence - Durkheimian notions of the superorganic, (society is sui generis,
and arises from but then determines social interaction). Society for Durkheim
certainly did have agency.

James

___________________________________
Professor James Leach