Hi All,

May I ask: Can we posit creativity as immanent in all social groups? What do we do with groups that are very hierarchical or bureaucratic? If there are limits, then maybe we should ask about the conditions necessary for a group to act creatively -- or for the immanent possibility to get expressed through both group and individual agency?

Also, on another thread -- the degree to which we attribute magic to our technology is one measure of how we have lost control of it, imho. That it can be wonderful goes without saying, but the more we attribute religio-magical properties to it, the less we will assume that we have some responsibilities in relation to it.

Christina Spiesel

Simon Biggs wrote:
Hi James

I guess you are referring to Durkheim's concept of collective conscience. If
so then I don't have any real problem with this and would consider it as a
reasonable part of considering how people become socially. I am aware of it
as a general concept but I am no expert on Durkheim and thus can't comment
on the nuances of his arguments.

I think I probably do regard the autopoietic as something of a principle
(not a force). I agree it is descriptive, but it is descriptive of processes
and interactions. It is not agency but it is a way of conceptualising it. I
don't want to get into a discussion of how we represent things (the
autopoietic and that it describes) as that leads us into a semantic trap
where we are no longer considering our original focus on creativity as
social ontology.

Discussing the will opens a can of worms. I try to avoid such a term, even
if that exclusion isn't rigorous.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs
s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk
Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Research Professor  edinburgh college of art
http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/
Centre for Film, Performance and Media Arts
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/film-performance-media-arts