For all Empyre members: was a pleasure to participate of such a great discussion here, and I hope to be more often next month!
best
gabrila

On 09/10/2010 17:52, Timothy Murray wrote:
Hello, everyone. As we transition into another special topic, soon to be introduced by Renate, I want to express my thanks and enthusiasm for the multilayered discussion of "Archiving New Media: Ephemerality and/or Sustainability." Particular thanks go to our featured guests, Vanina Hofman from Taxonomedia, Claudia Kozak and Ricardo dal Farra from Argentina, Jon Ippolito and Mona Jimenez from the US, and Gabriela Previdillo from Brazil. When we framed this discussion in dialogue with the Buenos Aires Taxonomedia conference, we hoped that the framework of " ephemerality and/or sustainability," would provide the occasion for reflections on not only the practice of archiving but also its socio-cultural implications. Particularly welcome, from my point of view, is the importance of contributions from Latin America that have made more visible very crucial issues of indigeneity that bear not only the various platforms of art practice but also on the politics and institutionalization of archiving itself.

Those of us who have been engaged in institutional archival projects, such as my Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art, at Cornell University, continually find ourselves involved in spinning justifactory narratives regarding the viability of archiving new media art writ large but also pertaining to the challenges to accessibility due to obsolescence, etc. One of my greatest lessons from this kind of work has been an ongoing sensitivity to the extensive variations of both "new media" and "archive" per se, as well as to very different needs and articulations of the international community we try to serve at the Goldsen Archive that subsequently expand the parameters of the archive, in matter and theory. This resulted, for instance, in the broad expansion of the initial mission of the Goldsen Archive away from focusing solely on computer-based art to include the longer history of video art and its relation to electronic art, partially in response to the important overlap of performance and video in theWen Pulin Archive of Chinese Avant-Garde Art, which we brought to the Goldsen from Beijing six years ago, and more recently with a partnership with Experimental Television Center.

Key to these shifts have been the expression of need by communities for whom new media (and video) have been vital to cultural and political expression, often in less than ideal institutional circumstances. One very fruitful outcome of this month's discussion has been the welcome addition to the -empyre- dialogue of very specific accounts of the relation between new media and indigenous practices and politics across Latin America, from Chile to Argentina and Colombia to Brazil. These accounts have stimulated extremely interesting dialogues with our discussants from better known media and performance initiatives in the UK , US, and Spain, in a way that has foregrounded the importance of culturally and politically based practices to the development of new media and to the emergent complexities of its archivization.

Thanks again for sharing time to focus on these very important issues. I end by extending a particularly warm welcome to the new Latin American members of our -empyre- community.

Best,

Tim

--
Gabriela Previdello