In our jet-lagged state Tim and I spent a day and a half in the Making Sense
Colloquium held at the Georges Pompidou Center and the  Institut Telecom.
Paris is in the middle of a social crisis prompted by a major labor strike
against the government due to its potential plan to change the age of
retirement from 60 years to 62 years of age. French philosopher Bernard
Steigler the Director of the Institute of Recherche and Innnovaion at the
Pompidou Center addressed the Colloquium the first morning citing the
twentieth century as the century of the Proletariat.  Steigler also cited
the work of Duchamp and Beuys as figures to consider  in the discussion
about Making Sense, Faire Sense. His talk entitled Art, Territory, Epoque
Individuation of Post consumerism and Post Modernism made no mention of the
strikes outside in the streets of Paris.  For Steigler criticality is a
faculty of the sensing process and at the core of the creative process, but
was blatantly absent from  also was absent in many of many of the  disparate
presentations.

We have had very limited access to the internet but will post more later
today and also introduce to you three more presenters who will hopefully
give the empyre subscribers a clearer idea of what the Colloquium is
attempting to do.

Renate