Hi Tiziana

Thanks for your thoughtful post, responding to Dmytri's and Adam's provocative
texts.

Interesting you ask whether the internet will have an impact on the current
crisis in the world economy? Perhaps the internet is part of the reason for the
crisis? The world is going through a period of fundamental geo-political change
driven by globalisation. I wonder if it isn't a "crisis in capitalism" (that
might be wishful thinking) but another stage in its evolution. This means a
shift away from state to corporate power. Many countries appear unable to
adapt. Some can as they mimic corporate structures (the state as corporation).
Singapore is an exemplar here. China also has these characteristics (perhaps a
Confucian outlook is appropriate in this new world?). Globalisation itself is
driven by changes in global infrastructure. The emergence of the internet as
key to both our communications and logistical systems is undoubtedly intrinsic
to these changes.

Horrible as it might sound, many of the liberties and opportunities we have
taken for granted in Western liberal democracies will probably not be
sustainable in the new world order. The rights we assume we have, to personal
property, a job, a private identity, education, healthcare, pensions, etc, are
likely to be wiped away. Most people on this planet can only dream of having
these things and as the West collapses this short period of history, when a
privileged population living in the colonial and post-colonial bubble that is
Europe and its progressively exhausted empires/diasporas, will become a murky
memory.

In many ways the Western way of life our governments have indulged us in has
been unsustainable all along and now we are waking up from our comfortable
sleep to realise the nightmare our lives really are. Perhaps this is a dark
vision of the world but I see little reason to be optimistic. I agree that
something must be done and that open source and alternate models of production
need to be part of any effective strategy of resistance - but I fear that this
is what it will amount to, heroic but futile resistance to inevitable change.

best

Simon

>>> http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/ http://www.elmcip.net/