On 13.01.2012 14:48, adam wrote:

Regardless, the opportunity is to take this moment and these
opportunities and make it work for us on scale. 2012 more than any
other year opens up publishing and if we miss this window we can only
blame ourselves. If we wait for the moment capitalism is abolished
then publishing will stay as it is for a very long time and then we
also only have ourselves to blame.

I highly doubt that penguin classics is particular profitable. The series is simply just another way for a existing large publisher to maximize it's utilizing of productive and distributive capacity. Penguins productive and distributive capacities which where not built on the earnings of this series.

I can guarantee that if you approached a venture capitalist and proposed they fund the creation of such productive capacity for the purpose of selling trade paperback versions of public domain works it would be a short meeting. You can only do this once you already have such capacity.

And I'm not proposing we "wait for the moment when capitalism is abolished," rather that we actively work towards abolishing it by creating the social forms that could replace it. Which is what you are looking to do, wether you address your concerns specially at Capitalism or not, what you seek presumes it's eventual abolition.

--
Dmytri Kleiner

http://www.trick.ca