Hi all!  I just thought I'd float a few thoughts.

1.  The juxtaposition of Jordan's "Hotel" to Montgomery's "Transitional
Objects" does raise lots of questions about what kinds of refusal to produce a
narrow-veined kinship cluster of likenesses and samenesses do to the general
queer project of expanding the plane on which relationality appears as a scene
in the psychoanalytic and criminal senses, a moving object and a moving target.

 In Jennifer's piece the mutilated recombined dolls produce no anchor but an
anxiety about how to stay in relation; while in Jordan's piece the erotics of
stuckness, of a binding to the signifiers of desire, can become both
fetishistic of what appetite stands for and, because dedramatized by the music
and slow, inarticulate mise en scene, drained of fetishism's drama to demythify
or intensify the sign. Hotel in a way is about not a desire for expansive
perverse queered transition but a queer stuckness that doesn't expand into the
world but expands time into the enigma of relation itself, on the verge of
shattering without the fetish's drama and pseudo-finality.

2.  This leads me back to Zach's insistence on negativity as that which seems
negative: withdrawal, subtraction, immeasurability, escape from capture. I said
this to Zach last spring when we were talking about the common and sex, so this
is where we are stuck, but: I think it's a mistake to take the state's
biopolitical aesthetics of the subject's and a population's forced appearance
and translation into data as the defining taxonomy of the moment, because by
copying the dominant fetishizing idiom, repeating its own profound stupidity
about the relation of information and knowledge, even in resistance to it,  you
reproduce its idiom as the idiom of the world. Any representation of relational
processes (or of object/scenes, as I call them) makes a new closet and a new
disturbance. Practices of exposure and literalization  are false comforts. (I
feel this as well about the romance of the nomad--being a nomad is a lot
scarier and incoherently scavenging than Braidotti suggests! That's one way to
read Patricia's poem...)

 I think it's a sign of the crisis of the reproduction of life that the world's
"we" are in that literalization, the sheer immeasurable description of the
materiality of affect in action and relation, is everywhere seen as necessary
for a new realism.

XxoL
Sent from my iPad