I've lurked on empyre since the early 2000s, starting as a new media artist and
Guggenheim curator, and now an Associate Professor of New Media at the
University of Maine. As a co-founder of Still Water (http://still-water.net/),
I've helped build The Pool, ThoughtMesh, the Cross-Cultural Partnership, and an
ecovillage on the Maine coast.

On empyre I've probably been most outspoken about future threats to new media,
such as copyright lockdown, academic co-optation, and especially technological
and cultural obsolescence--all specters that have haunted my own creative work.
I have the privilege of being an advisor on Tim Murray's Preservation and
Access Framework for Digital Art Objects at Cornell.

This preservation research dovetails well with the new Digital Curation program
I've helped start this year at the University of Maine
(http://DigitalCuration.UMaine.edu). All the online courses are online; in
addition to a two-year graduate certificate, we host periodic hit-and-run
events. One of our webinars last spring featured Christiane Paul speaking about
the Douglas Davis case profiled this month in The New York Times.

Since we're talking about the historical role of a particular email list, we
shouldn't forget the threat of academic myopia. Don't get me wrong: books and
articles have a long shelf life and have made important contributions to the
understanding of our emerging field over the last three decades. I myself am
co-authoring the book Re-collection with Richard Rinehart this coming year
(http://re-collection.net).

But it's critical not to forget the role that listservs and other informal
networks of communication have played in this field. One arena where this plays
out is in academic promotion and tenure guidelines, which until recently tended
to ignore the Internet altogether. At the University of Maine, we explicitly
wrote ours to embrace contributions to online discussions and other dialogic
forms of scholarly communication and artistic intervention. These "New Criteria
for New Media" became one of the most downloaded articles of Leonardo magazine:

http://thoughtmesh.net/publish/275.php

Re-collection argues that museums and textbooks aren't yet very good at
reconstructing the historical context for creative work. Fortunately, a few
universities and archives have given communication networks like empyre the
weight they deserve. When I consulted the prestigious Langlois Foundation's
research database in 2005 I was pleased to find numerous citations from email
lists and Web sites. For example, although Alex Galloway has authored journal
articles and books from prestigious publishers like MIT, the two documents that
represented his writing in the Langlois database were both from email lists.
Since then, the Internet archive's Jason Scott has done important work rescuing
historic BBSs.

I hope this time capsule of empyre's can draw further attention to the role of
electronic dialogue in shaping creative and critical expression.

jon
@jonippolito