Hi All
Hopefully, everyone can see this now.  Apologies.
Tamara
From: Tamara Ashley
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:21 PM
To: soft_skinned_space
Subject: RE: [-empyre-] Virtual Embodiment: week 3

Hi All
This has been a really thought provoking discussion so far, which I have been
very much enjoying.  Sorry for the late check in this week.  I am in the middle
of a research project at the moment and so I am in the midst of shifting
thoughts and rich provocations from the field experiences, so I will offer some
raw reflections from that.  So apologies if some of the thoughts are not fully
formed yet and I would be interested in thoughts and questions that you might
have.

This discussion is resonating with me very strongly.  Through dancedigital, I
am currently undertaking research with young people in the development of an
ipad software application for key stage 1 and 2 and SEN.  The discussions
concerning layers of experience, where the virtual starts/ends, and this issue
of otherness - self and other, embodied self-technological other - is very
relevant to the design issues that we are encountering in developing the app.
We have been including the children in our design discussions as well as
observing them in testing situations.  Keeping movement generation at the heart
of activities invited by the app is very important to us.

I had been wondering if embodiment refers to an explicit process - one that
becomes recognised by the doer. Which leads to the question of how tacit
embodied knowledge comes to be known?  I do resonate with the idea of
assemblages and convergences - 'the body being a cluster of complex forces', is
how Deleuze articulates this - which does seem to be a sensible way of
including the many ways of knowing and experience that cohere in ourselves,
change and re-configure from moment to moment.  When observing children play
with the testing stations that we had set up, they are very open to integrating
their activity with the interfaces - the app and tasks become part of their
world, their mind and their experience - there is little distinction between
self and other and rather a synthesised world emerges for them.  Many of the
children had a readiness to give up the 'I' of their selfhood in order to work
collaboratively with the technology - it became part of their perceptual and e
 xperiential field, again suggesting integrated and systemic processing of
information.  I wonder if an out of body experience is ontologically possible?
More, that as suggested, different aspects of experience, intuitive and tacit
knowledge come into our field of knowing.

I thought it might be interesting to share some excerpts of our raw
observations. This morning I was observing 7-9 year olds playing with kinect
apps through a large screen and computer screen, and the polyfauna app through
a hand held ipad mini.

Brief report of observations on kinect dot app:
The app captures the body of the mover in a animation of dots that change
colour based on proximity to the camera.
This colour modification coupled with the spatial proximity encouraged lots of
moving through the space.
Collaboration was encouraged because the children could compose a rainbow of
colours by groups of them arranging in different proximity to the camera -
which clearly delighted them
The children could make their own bodies several colours by extending and
retracting gestures in space
The children were captivated by their digital representation and enjoyed moving
with their avatar, who on the large screen, was much larger than them - the
larger avatar encouraged the children to move in creative ways so that they
could see different patterns emerge in colours and form.
When the same app was run on the computer screen, the spatial range of the
children's movements decreased by more than half - I found this very
interesting in terms of scale and the experience of embodiment in interactive
play/making
The children used an extensive range of gestures, linked movements, solo
pathways and group formations.

Brief report of observations on the polyfauna app:
The handheld nature of the app restricted the movements of the body - the ipad
needed to be held in sight.  The small screen encouraged the arms to be bent.
Most of the movements were walking pathways through space, of different speeds.
 Children changed their perspective by moving the ipad towards and away from
them and sharing it between them.
The children's attention to the polyfauna app was held by the task to find the
red dot - this was a very engaging task for them and generated some competition
between individuals.

There are lots of issues that we have addressed already - not least deciding
that we would develop the prototype for ipad 3!  That in itself has a large
range of limitations and possibilities.  We are wanting to research the
learning impact of all of these activities - I was very interested in the
collaboration and shared learning that was encouraged - the learning together
through interactive tasks.

I also wonder about investigating otherness in both interactive and ecological
contexts.  The work that I have undertaken in both digital and environmental
performance work through systems that decentralise the human, re-position human
agency and hierarchical assumptions in knowledge making....I think I have write
a separate post about that!

all best

Tamara

Tamara Ashley, MFA, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Dance
Course Co-ordinator, MA Dance Performance and Choreography
Department of Performing Arts and English
University of Bedfordshire
http://www.beds.ac.uk/shiftdance/about

Artistic Director, dancedigital
www.dancedigital.org.uk