sorry, didn't mean to push send yet - winding up below

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM, sally jane norman <
normansallyj...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Johannes, all
>
> We were using the notion of tessellation in the computer graphics sense,
> to see how we might implement and shape mixed reality boundaries to convey
> compelling corporeal experience. The example/ experiment we were engaged in
> was work on Blast Theory's "Desert Rain" piece, which actually started out
> using a physical water curtain as a boundary for an actor / spectator/
> "spectactor" to proceed from one type of space to another. It both
> symbolised and instantiated a kind of switching mechanism between two
> distinct spaces that were part of the installation/ performance set-up.
> Ultimately the water curtain/ screen (on which there were projections) was
> replaced by a more standard projection surface (i.e. we got rid of the
> "wetware", which was pretty cumbersome!), but for exploring boundaries per
> se, and approaches to proxemics - encroachment, traversal, reach etc - it
> was experimentally productive.
>
> A comparable recent experiment might be Kirk Woolford's creation for a
> Brighton "White Nights" festival a couple of years back. Kirk motion
> captured dancers executing brief movement sequences in urban Brighton
> locations featuring salient landmarks (e.g. graffiti-cum-mural images),
> then created an i-phone app to use real-time, in situ mapping of the
> landmarks to convoke the motion captured dancer onto the screen of the
> handheld device. There's something uncanny and magically intimate about
> calling up these ghostly figures onto one's screen, whilst physically
> stationed in bustling streets. They generate another quality of space.
> Insofar as tessellation (though I'm not particularly hung up on that word,
> or any others for that matter - they're pointers for things I'm trying
> always inadequately to express) might designate ways of rendering novel
> experience by combining different, usually non-miscible kinds of space,
> then perhaps this is what we were hinting at with the earlier text and work
> on boundaries. Heterotopias defined as ways of juxtaposing  supposedly
> incompatible sites, and thereby eliciting novel affordances/ experiences,
> also offer a productive image for what I'm trying to get at.

Similar work is being done in sound, with its propensity for juxtapositions
of distinctive if not "incompatible" spaces. A project by Wes Goatley,
Sussex post-grad who might be following empyre (please jump in Wes)
exemplifies this: Wes devised a way to map ISP bandwidth allocations of a
number of key providers to generate sound in the headset worn by someone
"walking in the city" (pace de Certeau), such that the sonic realm evolved
(pleasurably - no mean feat!) with the bleed of one bandwidth segment into
another, providing a layer of quasi-realism (i.e. genuine market segment
information), albeit manipulated in order to be thus "sounded out". A track
for one's tracks...

on that note, I'd better push send for real this time
all best
sj