Thanks Wes,

Personally I find your "small gesture" resonant in a number of ways, but
this is (also) largely a question of sensibilities. The sensible,
perceptible, crafting of otherwise hidden data to bring it into my
sensorium feels eminently in line with this "virtual embodiment" theme that
is so subject to individual interpretations, thus so provocative as a point
of dialogue. In Simon Taylor's words, to seek "a taste of the different
leaks through the interface" is perhaps a valid goal - principles of
embodiment in figural painting (especially with an artist like Bacon!)
indeed remain as problematic as in more recent expressive media. I find I
have to keep honing awareness of this wider media legacy to try and gauge
the specificities of emerging means.

And the embodiment of walking, instantiated through Wes's and Kirk's
pieces, is one I particularly enjoy.  Having a song in my head or through
my headset, or an image in my mind's eye that's not in the street, or
that's on a hand-held, these are multiple layerings of experiences
identifiable as more or less virtual and always already necessarily
embodied. Again I'm overstating the all too obvious that therefore
sometimes needs to be overstated. For want of something better to say. Play
it again, Sam.

best
sj