Welcome, Aneta.

All through our discussions during the last weeks, I find most of my
reactions to different incarnations of "unspeakable" violence to occur on a
moral level, on the level of an increase one's consciousness. Then I ask
myself: is a moral reaction an act, or a response of *self-preservation*
not to go insane? Are we doing something to help the sufferer? One should
realize, at its root, art also is a moral response. I would appreciate
others' opinion on this.

I have another, related question: for us in the group, the theatrical
beheadings by ISIS, for instance, represent an unspeakable, violent other
to which we react with horror and revulsion, including a sense of
powerlessness. But to ISIS members the act represents holiness. There is no
question, at least to me, that we should insist on our moral revulsion,
undeterred by ISIS's own subjectivity. But at one point in this clash of
subjectivities  does an insistence become self-centeredness, intolerance,
an imperialist imposition of point of you. At what point in the spectrum
does the moral question change? I think this issue is more than
theoretical, a possible answer a crucial tool confronting many geopolitical
acts in our time. The United States asks, is the United States the
policeman of the world? The question implies that the United States is
always right in its moral judgement, and what it has to decide is, for
practical reasons, when to act and when not to act. Whereas there is
another issue: when is that judgement correct, valid and when it is not, or
it is grey?  Murat