Murat Nemet-Nejat <mura...@gmail.com> wrote: ----------empyre- soft-skinned
space----------------------
> Welcome, Aneta.
>
> All through our discussions during the last weeks, I find most of my
> reactions to different incarnations of "unspeakable" violence to occur on a
> moral level, on the level of an increase one's consciousness. Then I ask
> myself: is a moral reaction an act, or a response of self-preservation not to
> go insane? Are we doing something to help the sufferer? One should realize,
> at its root, art also is a moral response. I would appreciate others' opinion
> on this.

Thanx, Murat.

I am not sure if I understand correctly the dilemma, but I agree that art is a
moral response, moreover I am convinced that if we want to be anyhow relevant
when we do art, we need to be able to take the political position. Perhaps the
more delicate question is not weather to act but how? There are also various
ways of self-preservation and sometimes acting could be a form of
self-preservation, and not acting a from of self-distraction, don't you think
so?

It makes me think about the poem Ana quoted earlier in the discussion:

> Ana Valdés <agora...@gmail.com> wrote:----------empyre- soft-skinned
> space----------------------
> I remember quite well the words of the German pastor Martin Niemöller,
>
> "When the Nazis came for the communists,
> I did not speak out;
> As I was not a communist.
> When they locked up the social democrats,
> I did not speak out;
> I was not a social democrat.
>
> When they came for the trade unionists,
> I did not speak out;