Charles Clancy wrote:

> See comments inline.  An updated draft will be released shortly.
> Also note that the new draft addresses Dan's comments about
> resistance to dictionary attack.

Thanks for the update! I have some additional comments (see below),
but they should be easy to address.

> > S4, "EAP_Method_Type refers to the integer value of the IANA
> > allocated EAP Type code", "...to the EAP type code (1 byte),
> > specified in Section XX"?
>
> I don't think it's ever been clear how to reference the IANA
> allocated EAP type code in an I-D before it's been allocated.  These
> are things that would be fixed by the RFC Editor or in AUTH48, once
> IANA has allocated the type code.

For clarity, I'd still suggest adding the "(1 octet)" part (although
someone reading RFC 3748 will of course figure out that it's 1 octet).

> > S6 and elsewhere: Several places in the document assume that KS
> > (key size of the ciphersuite) is always the same as the MAC output
> > length.  This would make it difficult to define ciphersuites based
> > on e.g. AES-CMAC-256. If this restriction is intentional (and WG
> > is happy with it), at the very least it needs to be emphasized
> > much more.
>
> I'm not sure what AES-CMAC-256 means.  RFC 4493 defines CMAC
> specifically for 128 length AES, so if you wanted to something
> involving 256, you'd need to define exactly what AES-CMAC-256 was,
> and I imagine it would have a 256-bit input and a 256-bit output.
> Regardless, I added a statement in the key derivation section saying
> the input and output lengths of your ciphersuite must be equal.

As Dan Harkins already pointed out, NIST 800-38B does define CMAC
for 256-bit AES, with 256-bit key and 128-bit output.

So hardcoding this assumption in EAP-GPSK seems to limit the future
algorithm agility somewhat -- is the WG sure this is an acceptable
limitation?

(If this limitation is kept, I'd suggest mentioning in Section 2
that "KS" is not only the key size, but also MAC output length.)

> > S5 and S8.2 are not consistent about ciphersuite formatting (is
> > enterprise number 3 or 4 octets; if you're not sure, suggest
> > doing what RFC3748 did)
>
> Fixed (should be 4).

Figure 3 in S6 still assumes it's 3.

> > S8.4, text and bit diagram are not consistent about whether
> > enterprise code is 3 or 4 bytes
>
> Text consistent with length 4 enterprise code.

The 1st figure (now in S9.4) still shows 3 octets; so does the text
at end of S9.4, and IANA considerations text for PData/Specifier.

> > S9, "If the MAC validation fails, the server MUST transmit a
> > GPSK-Fail message specifying "Authentication Failure" and discard
> > the received packet." Not quite sure what "discard the received
> > packet" here exactly means in the context of EAP state machine (If
> > the server sends a reply, it's not discarding the packet as such).
>
> Fixed.

It seems this text was not changed at all?

> > Interoperability requires the ability to enter same PSK in
> > both client and server. See e.g. RFC4306 S2.15 and RFC4279 S5.4
> > for examples of management interface requirements.
>
> Added.

The text (Section 5) should probably say something about non-ASCII
characters, especially since NAIs can contain them (and IETF policies
usually require dealing with non-ASCII in strings handled by ordinary
users -- RFC4306/4279 are probably mostly for admins).

Maybe "SHOULD support non-ASCII", with pointer to detailed instructions
in Section 2.4 of RFC 4282?

Addtional comments:

S2, "PL": would help reading if it said PL must be >= KS (it's said
in S6, but this assumption is already needed in S4).

S3, should also mention GPSK-Fail and GPSK-Protected-Fail messages
for completeness (in additino to GPSK-1...4).

S4, how is PL encoded when input to KDF? (1 octet, 2 octets?)

S9.3, "from the ID_Client length" -> "from the ID_Peer length"

S11, GPSK-3 and GPSK-Fail are distinct message Op-Codes, so showing
e.g. "EAP-Request/GPSK-3 (GPSK-Fail (PSK Not Found or Authentication
Failure))" is confusing. Should be just "EAP-Request/GPSK-Fail ...".

S12.1, the references to sections 11.* should be to 12.* (and some
of the subsection numbers don't match; e.g. channel binding is .13,
not .12).

S12.9: the text about minimal state (only RAND_Peer) seems
inconsistent with S10, which requires discarding GPSK-3 if the
RAND_Server and CSuite_Sel fields are not the same as in GPSK-2.
To make that comparison, it seems you need to store the values after
sending GPSK-2?

>From idnits:
Obsolete normative reference: RFC 2434 (Obsoleted by RFC 5226)

Best regards,
Pasi