Hi Michael,

On 22.10.18 21:54, Michael Richardson wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Isuzu  ... I asked google, and I'm not
> quite sure I get the connection.

Sorry- this was a reference to an earlier message.  There is a mode in
which the MASA is acting based on its relationship with the registrar.
The punch line with Joe Isuzu was “Trust me!”
> It's not enough to say that they are going to be deployed in disconnected
> environments.  It's that they one wants to drop-ship them from the
> *manufacturers* warehouse to the disconnected location.

There are quite a number of use cases where connectivity may be an issue:

  * A secure building, where Internet access is limited, and even
    carrying in a USB stick is problematic.  This can range from a
    military installation to a pharmaceutical laboratory, to certain
    departments of financial institutions.
  * It could simply be an order of operations matter, where the device
    has arrived in advance of Internet connectivity but still wants to
    function (think fire suppression systems).

You may say, “but onboard them advance of their deployment”.  That may
or may not be practicable.

> When one thinks about drop-ship to a disconnected location, one tends to
> think about containers of humanitarian AID going out the back of a aircraft
> (C-2, Hercules, etc.) with a parachute.   If anything, that situation is
> probably *NOT* the case we are thinking about, because in that case the kit
> would have already gone through the owner's warehouse (whether the owner is
> a UN aid agency, some FEMA equivalent).  The entire kit could have been
> onboarded (wirelessly) as it went *onto* the aircraft, or could even occur
> as late as when it's on the aircraft.

I think we're get a better feel for some of this as time goes on, but
one could imagine components sitting in a drawer for five years.

> And you said, "online MASA", when it could well be that it's an offline
> MASA.  If you buy enough product, the manufacturer could well just put
> a custom trust anchor in and give you the private key.  That's essentially
> what happens in Industrial 4.0 802.15.4 deployments today.

I certainly know manufacturers who do that, and they mostly hate it,
because it requires custom builds.

> So I'm saying, let's not invent a problem before we understand who actually
> has the problem.... and make sure that the people who can solve the problem
> are at our table.

This sounds like an EXCELLENT conversation for the next few weeks.

Eliot