Hi,

When this was discussed in the group, it was decided to not only mandate
revocation checking, but to also mandate OCSP stapling as is it often the only
viable solution to let an offline peer check the revocation status of the
server. We had a discussion on must-staple, and the decision was to mandate
stapling in the draft instead of waiting for support of the X.509 must-staple
extension. OCSP and OCSP stapling are quite well supported already and should
be even more well-supported in a few years:

1. Basically all TLS implementations support OSCP, and a majority support OSCP
stapling (Certificate Status Request). Mbed is an exception rather than the
rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TLS_implementations

2. All browsers (desktop and mobile) support OCSP stapling.

https://blog.apnic.net/2019/01/15/is-the-web-ready-for-ocsp-must-staple/#:~:text=OCSP%20Must%2DStaple%20is%20a,Certificate%20Status%20Protocol%20(OCSP).

3. NIST SP 800-52 Rev 2 mandates that the server shall support use of the
Certificate Status Request extension (i.e. OCSP stapling).

- I do not think there is any wiggle room at all in the current version of the
draft:

  "When EAP-TLS is used with TLS 1.3, the peer and server MUST use Certificate
Status Requests [RFC6066]
    for the server's certificate chain"

  Note that in the current draft it is unspecified how the server checks the
revocation status of the client's certificate:

  "When EAP-TLS is used with TLS 1.3, the server MUST check the revocation
status of the certificates in the
    client's certificate chain."

- The X.509 must-staple extension
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-muststaple-00) is not relevant
for server certificates in the current EAP-TLS 1.3 draft as stapling is already
a must. OSCP stapling is not very useful for client certs. I do not know if the
X.509 must-staple extension is well supported or not. It could become relevant
for server certs if the requirements are softened.

- My view is that OSCP stapling is a very good fit for EAP in particular and is
well-supported enough to be mandated. Mandating stapling for EAP-TLS 1.3 from
the start avoids having to rely on the X.509 must-staple extension. Any
implementation not supporting OCSP stapling should implement it together with
TLS 1.3. I do not think the requirent should be softened, but if it is, my view
is that is should be softened as little as possible.

Cheers,
John