Hi Alan,

I don't think Tim could be blamed for holding the view that there is a separation between specifications and how they are used. There's good and bad to the practice.  The good is that the spec can be used in ways that the creators didn't intend, and thus perahsp there are fewer unnecessary constraints.

On the other hand, not having a theory of operation section, as we do have in a good number of our specs, leads to people really not understanding when they are applicable, and perhaps more importantly, when they are not.

All of this having been said, perhaps the best way to go forward is to have a requirements discussion in terms of the sorts of operations we would like to see as part of the authentication process – as opposed to elsewhere.

I see tremendous opportunity here, to be honest.  But it's a lot of work.

Eliot