On 24.10.23 19:43, Michael Richardson wrote:

Alan DeKok <al...@deployingradius.com> wrote:
     > Not explicitly, but implicitly.

     > I think the way out here is to not mandate the use of WebPKI.  Instead,
     > we can just say that the EAP certificate should be issues by the same
     > (or equivalent CA) to the one which was used to provision the initial
     > FIDO credentials.

     > In practice, this means WebPKI most of the time.  :)

Actually, that's a stronger statement anyway.
It means that the choice of CA has essentially been pinned, so you'd not be
vulnerable to attacks like ComonoGate.

I think I actually want to be vulnerable to this kind of attack.
- Wait, bear with me, I have a reason for saying that: -

Some of the operational problems that we currently have, especially in the eduroam world: Administrators don't fully understand the EAP methods, and they usually don't have time to dig into that. They just want it to work. And some don't understand that it is a big deal for the Client if the CA changes, since it does not cause problems if they change the web server certificate. And when they change it they quickly realize that it works again if they choose "Do not validate" on their device, so they advise that the users configure their devices this way.

With the suggested way to pin the PKI to the one used to provision the credential I see several problems:

* How to store?

Since the credential is not necessarily used on the same device that the FIDO credential was registered (example: YubiKeys that are registered by the admin and then issued to the user), the information needs to be stored in the registration information somehow. I'm not sure if that is possible and/or manageable. And another question remains: What exactly do I store? "I used WebPKI" or "The trust anchor was the ISRG Root X1" or "My cert was issued by Let'sEncrypt R3" or "the SHA256-FP of the CA cert that issued the server cert was ...."

* How do I change the CA?

Certificates expire. This can be seen as bug, and therefore FIDO has an advantage over using client certificates, since FIDO credentials don't expire at an arbitrary point in time. For the server side, the certificates also expire and they need to be exchanged regularly. Now the question is: What type of certificate do I use? Since some OSes add the CA used for wifi to their OS-wide trust store, I don't want to have a small institution with a part-time admin operating its own CA with the CA's private key stored with chmod 777 on a dubiously secured web server. So using a private self-operated CA, where the validity time is somewhere in the area of 100 years, is a bad idea.

The alternative: We use a certificate provider from the webPKI. But here we have options and if the provider that was active at the time of FIDO registration has now decided to increase their prices by factor 20, and we want to move to a different CA provider, then we don't want to have the factor "is this CA from the same root" to be a decision point that narrows our options. But more importantly: The eduroam use case is only a tiny thing that is a byproduct of the other PKI use cases (mainly Web). So it is unlikely that the decision makers are willing to add a zero to the amount of money they spend on PKI, just because we need this for this one use case of WiFi login. So now the admins need to have a certificate roll-over, and with BYOD deployments that means: Endlessly chasing after users that have not yet reconfigured their device, and some VIP users complaining why the WiFi again does not work, because they never had such problems at their home wifi.

So the intent is to completely get rid of CA pinning (at least by default). It only causes problems, especially for admins that do not do the admin task full-time, and there are a lot of those.

This is not to say that there aren't use cases out there where CA pinning is useful and the spec should not forbid that possibility, but I don't want to specify a protocol, where, 20 years from now, people say "Why do we need an external configuration tool again to configure the trust parameters?" For MDM environments like company wifi, where you have your well-maintained private CA and (more or less) complete control over your end-devices, CA pinning is ok.
But we don't have this in BYOD environments like education institutions.

Because the cert parameters are not implicit from information that the user is willing to configure (usually username and password), the eduroam folks developed a tool that helps with the secure setup of the Wifi. And having experienced the First-Level-Support, many people complain about "Why is it so difficult to get on the wifi at the university, can't you just give me the wifi password and everything works like at home? What do I need this app for?"

So - to quickly summarize it and come back to the ComodoGate attack:
The possibility of a Rogue CA is always there.
For the webPKI, the CA/B forum mandates mechanisms to at least detect such rogue behavior and the affected CA won't be in trust stores much longer.
In my opinion, the danger of having a dubious private CA is much higher.

And pinning the CA in BYOD environments causes a lot of problems in the future, that are likely to wander out of sight and only re-surface -- in the best case a short time before, in the worst case at the time -- things break and now the admins need to act quickly. And this reaction also involves the end-users, that need to reconfigure their devices and that's never a good idea, because the latency of end-user action is immense (esp. if they are not technically versed)

--Janfred

--
Herr Jan-Frederik Rieckers
Security, Trust & Identity Services

E-Mail: rieck...@dfn.de | Fon: +49 30884299-339 | Fax: +49 30884299-370
Pronomen: er/sein | Pronouns: he/him

DFN - Deutsches Forschungsnetz | German National Research and Education Network
Verein zur Förderung eines Deutschen Forschungsnetzes e.V.
Alexanderplatz 1 | 10178 Berlin
www.dfn.de

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Odej Kao (Vorsitzender) | Dr. Rainer Bockholt | Christian Zens
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Christian Grimm | Jochem Pattloch
VR AG Charlottenburg 7729B | USt.-ID. DE 1366/23822