Dear End-violence friends,

One of the most powerful tools we have at hand in our work to end violence
against women and girls are information and communications technologies
(ICTs). I've been looking at the use of ICT for anti-trafficking activities
and have found many interesting examples.

Several projects use ICT to gather and present information about
trafficking. Organisations as varied as UNIFEM, the Global Alliance Against
Trafficking in Women, Johns Hopkins, and Interpol gather data on
trafficking and present them on the web. They offer strategic highlights,
international declarations, reports and other information about
trafficking, including data on specific countries.

Some activities -- like this Working Group and Miramed's Russian language
discussion list -- bring people together in virtual communities to discuss
strategies and experience related to efforts to end trafficking of women
and girls.

Still other projects, like the joint UNIFEM-USAID project in India, are
endeavoring to use ICT to help officials and NGOs coordinate their efforts
to end trafficking in women and girls.

I am pulling together a short report on organisations that are using ICT in
their activities to combat trafficking in women and girls. I would like to
highlight the activities of End-violence members. If your organisation uses
ICT in activities to end trafficking, I would very much like to hear from
you, and receive a brief description of your project and how you are using
ICT. Kindly send your information to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Many thanks,

Janice Brodman
Center for Innovative Technologies
EDC
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

WEBSITES OF ORGANISATIONS/ACTIVITIES MENTIONED ABOVE

UNIFEM
http://www.unifem-eseasia.org/Resources/Traffick2.html
http://www.unifem.undp.org/public/freeofviolence/pdf/Chapter_4.pdf
http://www.unifem.undp.org/curr0901.htm#news9

Miramed Institute
http://www.miramedinstitute.org/index.html

The Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women
http://www.inet.co.th/org/gaatw/

The Prevention Project
Johns Hopkins
http://www.sais-jhu.edu/protectionproject/

Interpol
http://www.interpol.int/Public/THB/default.asp

US Dept of State
http://www.state.gov/g/inl/rls/fs/2001/jun_aug/4051.htm

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/