Dear Members,

Refering to the message from Carin Benninger-Budel, I am very encouraged by
the work of the OMCT.

I am particularly interested in her reference to customary law and how it
can be a source of the violence perpetrated against women.  According to
the Beijing Platform for Action (see D. Violence Against Women para. 118),
violence against women is a manifestation of historical, customary, and
cultural relations between men and women.  Yet, in many developing
countries the judicial system comprises both a usually well respected
customary law as well as statute law.  Customary law is a double edged
sword so to speak - it can include important social norms such as ways of
resolving disputes (restorative justice) and yet it is usually steeped in
traditional ways of looking at gender which puts males in control so that
they can do what they like with women.

I used to work as Secretary General of the Commonwealth Magistrates and
Judges Association in London and there was no doubt that judges and
magistrates in many parts of the world applied a blend of both
laws.  However, there was constant discussion of how all laws, whether
customary or statute should be continually reviewed and revised to reflect
modern standards and norms of which we have plenty.

I would suggest that governments not only establish programmes to prevent
and combat violence against women but they need to criminalize such violent
and discriminatory customary practices, and to ensure that all bad laws are
repealed so that judges cannot impose such sanctions.

I once met a very senior South African High Court Judge who made it very
clear to me that she had absolutely no time for customary law per se as,
she believed, it was all based on discrimination.  She wanted all law to
begin with their then new Constitution.

Vivienne Chin
International Centre for Criminal Law Reform and Criminal Justice Policy
Vancouver, Canada
www.icclr.law.ubc.ca

On 14/5/02, Carin Benninger-Budel wrote:

 > OMCT just published a second collection of reports, "Violence Against
 > Women: 10 Reports/Year 2001", within the framework of our Violence against
 > Women Programme. The publication forms part of the Programme's work in
 > the field of integrating the human rights of women and a gender perspective
 > into the activities of the United Nations human rights treaty monitoring
 > bodies. Over the past year, OMCT submitted ten alternative country reports
 > to the six main human rights treaty bodies on Azerbaijan, Bolivia,
 > Georgia, Indonesia, Israel, Senegal, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Ukraine and
 > Zambia.

***End-violence is sponsored by UNIFEM and receives generous support from
ICAP***
subscribe end-violence OR type: unsubscribe end-violence
Archives of previous End-violence messages can be found at:
http://www.edc.org/GLG/end-violence/hypermail/