I'm trying to import my public keyring into Enigmail in the Thunderbird
email client and I'm getting an error that I can't solve.

Here's what happens. From the Mozilla Thunderbird dropdown menu I select...

Enigmail -> Key Management -> File -> Import Keys From File

Then I select my pubring.gpg file. It asks me if I "want to import the
following keys", then lists the keys in my file. I click on the OK
button. And I get a pop-up window that says...

    /Importing the keys failed/

    /gpg: invalid item 'BZIP2' in preference string//
    //gpg: invalid default preferences/

I'm running

    Enigmail version 2.0.7 (20180612-1520)

    Thunderbird version 58.2.0

    Ubuntu 16.04

I can't find anything in the Enigmail or Thunderbird preferences that
refers to zip applications. I've done a "sudo apt-get install bzip2" but
that didn't help. Also, I'm able to run "gpg --import pubring.gpg" from
the command line without an error.

Does anyone know what I might be running into?