Am 02.01.20 um 17:36 schrieb Patrick Brunschwig:
> Robert J. Hansen wrote on 02.01.2020 16:26:
>>> Using Enigmail for some time now - thanks for your work!
>> Patrick deserves all the credit; the rest of us just try to help him
>> with the load of questions.  :)  Which is hard, given that he usually
>> beats us to answering them!
>>
>>> As I understand, the GPG key for a specific email address is saved
>>> inside the keyring, in my case the GNOME keyring. To decrypt an
>>> encrypted email Enigmail needs to have access to that keyring. Which
>>> means, the GNOME keyring needs to be unlocked so that Enigmail can
>>> access it and read the according GPG key.
>> Nope.  :)
>>
>> GnuPG is the one popping up those passphrase dialogs, not Enigmail.
>> We've got nothing to do with it.  We never touch your keyring.  Although
>> I think your feature request is pretty reasonable, it's also beyond
>> Enigmail's scope.  Perhaps ask on GnuPG-Users, or on a GNOME mailing list?
Thanks for the clarification.
> The above said, I assume that what happens is this: if GNOME keyring is
> already running when gpg requires a password, it will connect to the
> running instance of GNOME keyring and get the password from there. If
> GNOME keyring is not already running, then gpg will need to start a
> "keyring" tool on its own. And the only tool known to gpg is gpg-agent.
>
> -Patrick
Thanks for pointing that out. So, just for my understanding: Are you happy -
design-wise - with the fact that if the keyring is not unlocked a user is asked
for the GPG key even it is already available in the keyring? What do you think
would need to change on the GPG side if a user would like to have the keyring
unlocked by Enigmail instead of requesting the GPG key?

Malice