On Friday, 25 February 2005, at 18:05:42 (+0100),
Richard Torkar wrote:

> A "hassle" canbe seen as a reason, but I'd love to hear more
> background.  What was the hassle? What did go wrong? I've seen spec
> creation being used in large projects without a problem during
> several years,

I don't doubt it.  Most projects have atrocious spec files too.

> so I'm just curious as to why this was a problem in this project. As
> always, I'm asking nicely. I'm not being arrogant - just curious and
> maybe stupid :-)

1.  Automatically-generated spec files often fail to end up in the
release tarball.  This prevents "rpmbuild -ta" from working.  Your
patch has exactly this problem.

2.  Automatically-generated spec files lull software maintainers into
a false sense of security and are generally left to stagnate.

3.  Spec files and the rpm dependency engine are not equivalent to
autoFUCK tools and cannot be treated as such.

4.  Making spec file changes, like making configure.in changes, can
have notable and widespread results and should thus be done as a
conscious choice.

5.  AutoFUCK tools generate files which differ between systems and
between builds.  If you have to change your spec file whenever you
build, you have issues.

Etc.

HTH,
Michael