On Monday, 25 July 2005, at 21:53:57 (+0500),
Boldin Pavel wrote:

> IMHO is are joke and not in one time: all can use word `checksum'
> instead of `magic', but all uses `magic', so is a sort of
> joke. (IMHO)

No, it's not a joke at all, and it is NOT the same thing as a
"checksum."  A "checksum" is a computed value used to ensure, to some
degree, data integrity.  A "magic number" is a specific value or set
of values which are unlikely to appear randomly in a particular
location and thus have special meaning as a flag of some type.  For
example, DOS executables have a "magic number" of "MZ" at offset 0.
This is in no way, shape, or form a checksum.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>