I'm on a slackware box.
I click on the button named "Icon" and browse the disk in the efm
window which appears to find the image file I want to use.

My fault, Im not explaining myself well enough.

The above process you describe is exactly what Im talking about. During my attempt at browsing my file system for the icon I want efm does not allow me access to places like /usr/share/pixmaps (logged in as an ordinary user). Perhaps this is more of an efm permissions issue.

I dont not recall having this issue with the very early versions (serveral months ago) where efm was not being used for this.