On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 09:53:32 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me> said:

> Can you please explain why? This is a method that returns a count of
> references but has no mention of count in the name.

Well your original email gave no details as to why it's misleading. I disagree
because i see something like:

Eo   *efl_ref(Eo *obj);
int   efl_ref_get(Eo *obj);
void  efl_unref(Eo *obj);

i.e. the context of the api, and to me it screams of "ref is reference or
references" and since there is something to ref and unref already ref_get
returning an int obviously is returning a reference count (to me). since i'm
familiar with reference counting techniques in general (nothing to do with the
code implementation or api here), to me it's obvious that this returns the
reference count (an integer) and it's short form for that.

if i saw this api in glib or gtk or libjpeg or libpng or zlib or any other
library i'd think the same with zero documentation and just api signatures like
the above.

i've learned api's by just reading .h files (like xlib) and seeing this and
taking a guess as to what it means. an int generally to me indicates it's
returning a number as opposed to something opaque in higher level libs like
efl/gtk etc.. it has meaning. libc calls return ints and are different as they
tend to mean an error or success, but look at glib or gtk or others and they
dont do this and efl doesn't do the libc thing either as a whole.

so given the context as a whole and as a sub-part of the api like above... i
disagree that its misleading. to me its pretty obvious. maybe because i've
spent a lot of time with various api's and so on i tend to fill in the blanks
quickly seeing this kind of information. i don't know.

but if you think it's misleading can you give more information? why is it
misleading? what is it leading you to think it is and why is that? what is the
difference in view point or experience and how conclusions are being attained?