On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 3:17 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> so i spent a lot of time going over every instance (well with a git grep
> for
> eo_add( and NULL on the same line).
>

> 459 instances of an eo_add with NULL. i get 1572 eo_add's with a git grep
> uses. my numbers differ from yours, but ok. we're doing rough stats here.
>
> 173 instances are artificial testing so let's remove them from our stats.
>
> 286 eo_adds with null that are "real". 1399 total adds when we remove the
> artificial testing ones. of those 286 instances, 1 is "unknown" if it's
> correct. let's remove that from our stats for now. 285 null adds, 1398
> total
> eo_add's. of the 285 null adds.. only 16 are correct uses with null
> parent. the
> rest are bugs. so ... 16/1398 are valid uses of null parent adds. that's
> 1.1%
> of use cases.
>
> but wait... of those 16 "null parent is ok" examples... 1 (the main loop
> add)
> is internal to efl only and never seen or used outside. loops are and will
> be
> created for you. so it's actually 15. 15/1398 is almost exactly 1%.
>
> my "spitballing rough number from a glance at git grep and where the calls
> were" was almost EXACTLY spot on. so i totally stand by my 1-2% number i
> roughly
> guessed in a 1 minute scan. of course now you forced me to spend an hour
> doing
> the above.
>
> now an accurate evaluation says it's 1%. and that's WITHIN efl. the 1 case
> of
> the main loop of the 16 will not exist outside of efl itself as loops will
> be
> created for you, and the other 15 are all ector.
>
> imho ector is a low level api for doing raw rendering and describing a
> display
> graph. in fact for sheer performance reasons as long as it's kept internal
> efl it shouldn't be an eo api for speed reasons.
>
> will we ever expose a "direct immediate mode rendering api" to users? like
> ector? especially when we have evas vg objects that hide this? and in the
> event
> you used such an object... and if we exposed ector objects as the actual
> "vector tree/graph" ... they will then all have a parent - the vg object
> containing them.
>
> so i actually argue that the 16 cases i counted are actually 0. either
> ector
> shouldn't be eo and stay a low level api internally to efl, or we expose
> ector
> node graph within a vg object and then they all have parents.
>
> so after some analysis of the above... no a single "external use" of
> efl_add
> should be done with a null parent. and the only internal "valid" use is the
> efl_add of the loop objects. ector is kind of an odd/exception state atm as

Well if the thinking is "all objects should have a parent" then of course
exactly 0% of them will have no parent. Basically only a "thread" object
would be allowed to be parentless. Windows should then be created with a
loop as parent, internally reparented to evas if needed.

If we take this approach then @noparent is not even required (only one
special kind of object should have no parent, for which we could have an
internal api).
This could solve inconsistencies.

> In all of EFL, without EFL_UI_WIN_CLASS or ECORE_XXX:
> >
> > Overall: 226 unique classes / 1438 occurrences
> > No parent: 89 unique classes / 358 occurrences
> > 42% of classes used without parent, accounting for 27% of all uses.
> >

> > Only in src/examples, without EFL_UI_WIN_CLASS or ECORE:
> >
> > Overall: 44 unique classes / 474 occurrences
> > No parent: 12 unique classes / 27 occurrences
> > 27% of classes used without parent, accounting for 5.7% of all uses.
> > (note: only one example with EFL_UI_WIN_CLASS)
> >

> > In src/bin/elementary, without EFL_UI_WIN_CLASS or ECORE:
> >
> > Overall: 49 unique classes / 303 occurrences
> > No parent: 14 unique classes / 54 occurrences
> > 29% of classes used without parent, accounting for 18% of all uses.
> > (note: those classes are animation and interpolator)
> > (note2: 34 occurences of WIN class - no parent)
> >

> > Conclusions:
> >
> > 0. This analysis is flawed by design due to a lack of real usage.
>
> correct. the above numbers include lots of code that needs to not use null
> parents. my more detailed analysis shows my numbers of 1-5% to be
> incredibly
> generous... in current efl it's actually 0%. every existing instance of an
> efl
> add with null inside efl or in tests is a bug (excepting the above as i
> described).
>
> > 1. Those numbers differ from the values given in the below email.
> > While I understand where this "maybe 1 or 2% of all objects [are created
> > without a parent]" comes from, it's not based on facts.
>
> actually it is... because almost all the instances of adding with null
> parents
> are bugs atm. even many without null parents are currently bugs (they use
> the
> wrong parent - eg always get the mainloop singleton instead of use the
> correct
> loop parent of that object like the model examples i pointed to).
>
> > @noparent makes sense. A NULL check in efl_add would then help.
>
> that is my compromise. or what i am thinking is a good compromise. that in
> the
> very very very very few exceptions where we allow null parents... we
> specifically tag it.

Might as well have no exception, except internally for a special TLS
"thread" object that would be the root object to rule them all.

> A different API then wouldn't hurt either IMHO (maybe efl_new?
> > efl_add_single? efl_create? or whatever -- efl_add then can NOT be called
> > with NULL).
>
> once the bugs are fixed... at this point we'll be create an api though with
> ZERO external use outside of efl and only 16 instances within efl itself.

There were no "bugs" until it somehow was decided that all objects should
have a parent.

as i said. we should be policing the null parents because basically 99% of
> efl
> objects (or instances of their adds) do not allow null parents.. or SHOULD
> not
> once we've fixed everything up.
>
> > 2. The argumentation in this email chain again leads nowhere. The
> original
> > confusion remains mostly unaddressed.
>
> i think not. i made the argument that it's not really confusing - it
> follows a
> simple rule... BUT that reality is in no real life cases will anyone using
> the
> efl api be adding objects with a null parent. it's a "0% of use cases"
> thing.
> so as there is no valid instance of doing an add with a null parent... why
> do
> we have to make things more confusing by even having an api that
> encourages it?
>
> > Felipe mentioned that ownership and references are mixed. So the proposal
> > for efl_release (or detach, close, invalidate, ...) makes sense to me.
> > In fact we have issues sometimes with efl_del as inside a destructor we
> > already lost our parent (thus all efl_provider_find and related calls
> will
> > fail).
>
> i brought up this issue specifically already in this and related threads
> and
> said it's horrible and painful and unparenting should be done outside the
> the
> constructor (after last constructor called). not having a parent when

"destructor (after last destructor called)" -- I guess?

> destructor is called is leading to some major ugliness in objects having to
> manually track their loop so they at least know what loop they did belong
> during destruction so they can clean up some internals like "fd handlers"
> etc.

yup

> > Also, quite a few times I've also been looking for a "deleted" event that
> > would happen after destruction, and not before.
>
> well there is the case for a del that is called just before destructors are
> called so everything in the object is still there. that's what we have now
> (or
> should have). there might be the case for another callback to be called in
> the
> finally destructor just when all the event callbacks are about to be
> cleaned
> out. you couldnt call something after the actual final destruction though
> as
> the object now no longer exists... :)

> I had to introduce a very ugly API very badly called "allow_parent_unref"
> > in efl.object because some objects need a parent but they should be
> > unref'ed by someone else (efl_part objects but not only).
> >
> > So, I think it would make sense to investigate efl_terminate, and
> > evas_object_del would just call efl_terminate, hiding the object or
> > starting destruction, then let the parent (either evas or another canvas
> > object) do the final unref/unparent and destroying everything that's
> left.
> >

> > Last note: @owned is rarely used with objects:
> > - Efl.Net.Ip_Address create (factory pattern, replaces efl_add, but I
> think
> > if there's a parent then we shouldn't tag as @owned)
> > - efl_duplicate (creates a new object like efl_add)
> >

> > Anyway I think experiments only can tell us what's best. I see 3 items:
> > - @noparent tag
>
> that i agreed with... and there are almost no instances that would use it.
> loop
> is one. in fact it should have a "never call efl_add on me - ever". ...
> unless
> we want to get into the complexity of child and parent loops within one
> thread.
> i really dislike that complexity and would at this stage want to just ban
> it
> entirely thus no one ever should efl_add a loop. ... except inside efl ...
>
> > - efl_new (= efl_add without a parent -- requires @noparent if we want
> > strong NULL check)
>
> right now we have no "public" instances of this being allowed. in future i
> am
> imagining possibly shared objects that are transported from thread to
> thread
> being able to be like this (that's my 1-2% number). even then they may
> still
> have some global parent "app" object they belong to. and that app object
> would
> be "created for you". so even then... i don't see a need to allow null
> parents
> (except the app object itself which will like loop, be created for you).
>
> > - efl_invalidate / efl_terminate (I prefer efl_close :P)
>
> i actually prefer close too. shorter.

But as cedric said there is file close (and specifically
efl.io.closer.close). Assuming this "invalidate" is a method (declared in
.eo, available in bindings), its name shouldn't conflict :)

Anyway this opens some questions:
- do we really want to have parents for all objects? (basically except for
loop or app or some thread root object)
- should we even go as far as forbidding null parent? or do we still want
to have this exceptional case?
- then what happens when parent_set(NULL) is called? should this call
invalidate automatically?
Or am I going too far here and we should just try to have parents on all
objects for our API as a policy only (objects declared outside of EFL would
then chose if they need a parent or not)

//The following thoughts assume we have parents on ALL objects (except app
magic obj).//

So, to summarize the idea:

- efl_add() -> always with a parent
- efl_invalidate() -> ??? does not unref
- efl_parent_set(null) -> the parent calls invalidate, then unrefs which
calls the destructor and then actually set parent to null
- efl_del() -> always parent_set(null), no if
- efl_unref() -> only to be used after efl_ref()
- efl_unref() to 0 ref -> error case as it is now, destroys the object but
prints an ERR (bindings should be safe). normal for efl_part().
- efl_add_ref() -> only to be used by bindings, always with a parent,
always has 2 refs. requires implicit (by binding) efl_unref(). if used in
C, requires both efl_del and efl_unref to delete, unref only if we leave it
to the parent
- efl_destructor() -> called with a parent, but zero ref.
- efl_part() -> no change (returns an auto-deleted object except in
bindings -- as implemented for C++ already)

what exactly should happen in invalidate? for evas object just hide and

one can then wonder if the parent ref is necessary: no ref + no parent =
deleted, no ref but parent = still alive.

- "invalidate" event is called when invalidate begins, "del" event is
emitted when destruction begins, "destroyed" event emitted after it's all
done

Sorry... I think I'm still tired from jetlag... So please correct me if I'm
wrong.
But I am worried of making any radical change at this point in time... So
let's make sure we have something solid that we're all happy about. The
less changes the better.

Best regards,