This is a good point to raise, and I could probably have done a better job
explaining in order to avoid confusion.

The idea here is that during weeks 1+2, people could either begin work on a
feature (the progress of which could then be used as evidence that the
feature is feasible for this release cycle), continue working on a deferred
feature from a previous cycle, start a large refactoring project, or fix
bugs.

Just because a feature doesn't make it into a release doesn't mean it can't
be worked on; if a feature will take 6 months to complete then it will need
to be worked on continually across more than one release cycle.

Alternatively, it may be more worthwhile to shift this initial 3 week
discussion+review period to overlap with the end of the previous release
cycle (i.e., now) to get people looking forward while release bug fixing is
going on. This would yield another 3 weeks of development time to be
allocated somewhere, assuming we decide to stick to a 12 week cycle.