Hello.

With beta 2 out its tiem for an update here.

On 02.09.19 17:09, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Its stabilization time for 1.23! Everybody stand up and say YAY!
>
> The freeze for master is on and I would like folks to focus on
> stabilization and getting efl into shape for a release.
>
> The drill is the usual: fix show stopper tickets, review ABI/API
> changes, look into critical Coverity issue reports, etc.
>
> 1) Phab tickets:
>
> https://phab.enlightenment.org/maniphest/query/91Ac3kuLMeSm/
>
> Currently we have listed 17 tickets as showstoppers and 99 as high.
> This needs some work to figure out what is still relevant before I will
> start to list the issues here. You can help by going through the tickets
> and checking if they are still applying to master and adjusting priority
> accordingly or closing them. Mike will have a good stab at organising
> them the next days but help is always welcome. Especially on
> verification and fixing :-)

Mike sorted through all of them and this is what got tagged for 1.23:
https://phab.enlightenment.org/maniphest/query/0Wwev4LUdG3y/

>From the 6 showstopper bugs we have at least 2-3 being worked on
actively right now. There is still plenty of room to help out here.
Showstopper as well as nigh rated issues.

> 2) ABI/API checker:
>
> I hope that the great folks at ABI Laboratory will pick up the alpha
> release and a report will be generated automatically to be found here:
> https://abi-laboratory.pro/index.php?view=timeline&l=efl

There was a separate mail on this. They updated to the results to our
beta2 now. Besides the nome naming typo fix I pushed I see nothing that
strikes me as bad.

I would like others to review as well though. If you reviewed and found
no problems please state this as well as silence could mean nobody had a
look or its all fine.

> 3) Coverity reports tagged high:
>
> In our last Coverity run on EFL from Saturday (31.8) we have 339
> outstanding issues reported. Out of these over 300 issues 71 are marked
> as high from Coverity and this is where we should focus our efforts into
> for a start.
>
> 08 Memory corruptions
> 09 Memory illegal access
> 16 Uninitialized variables
> 38 Memory leaks

Again this was also brought up in a different mail. The number was
reduced greatly but there are some left that are worth having a look.

Again, the ones rated as high impact in our actual libraries is what I
worry about most.

> 4) Build system switch from autotools to meson:
>
> This is the first release which will only use our new meson build
> system. If you are a packager and slept under a rock and thus have not
> noticed it would be a good idea to try this out early and not wait for
> the final tarball to check if it all works for you. :-)

I have been running into two issues durign the release handling a) meson
does not allow a beta or alpha suffix in teh release version to generate
the tarballs. Easy enough to be worked around in our release script, as
I did. b) there was an issue in the test suite with buildtype=release
(this is why it was still set to plain) but that should be fixed with a
patch today.

I have not heard anything bad from packagers yet. If that means all is
good or if nobody tested its hard to say. :/

All in all it looks not to bad in shape for the release. If we really
can do the final on next Monday has to be seen. If we have still some
open issues that are actively worked on we might delay for a few days.

regards
Stefan Schmidt