On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:28:26 +0000 Aleksej Struk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:39:37PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:41:31 +0000 Aleksej Struk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > babbled:

> > > Well, I know this :). Basically I tried to be as a newbeeee user that
> > > sees E first time in his/her life and tries to set a wallpaper/theme :)

> > > Completely agree.

> > > Can be dialogs be smart for example? Maybe they can have their minimum
> > > settings and optimal settings. Consequently, if it "sees" that cannot fit
> > > into entire screen, it uses minimum settings. Otherwise, it uses optimal
> > > settings.
> >
> > what is optimal? i find that having the dialog as small as possible is
> > optimal as i keep the rest of my screen still to do other things at the
> > same time... personal preference. and seriously - how often do u change
> > themes and need a big long list - will you have 100 themes installed? i am
> > doubtful :) the theme dialog is actually no smaller - the left is smaller -
> > it can display 3 instead of 4 by default. not a lot of loss imho.
>
> Well, I personally, can say, that the size of the wallpaper dialog is
> almost optimal. My arguing, why it is optimal, is the following. If I
> have set my wallpaper, and open the wallpaper dialog again, the selected
> wallpaper get vertically centered in the selector list. Consequently I
> easily see, which wallpaper goes before and after selected one.
>
> In contrast, in the theme config dialog, if I have selected a theme, and
> open the dialog once again, the selection is not get vertically centered
> in the selector list(at least for now). That forces me to scroll the
> list, if I want to see a theme before the selected. Moreover if I center
> selected theme in the list, I see just a "peace" of list item before and
> after the selected. Psychologically, it makes me scroll the list again,
> up or down, since I want to see those items in full.

actually both dialogs work in exactly the same way with regards selecting and
scrolling. it is identical code. you just happen to be lucky that one happens
to center and the other doesn't - due to what gets selected etc. :)

> Btw, just one more comment about, I think, selector. I have the following
> situation. I created a folder A inside .e/e/backgrounds/, and put some of
> my bgs inside it. Then I set my wallpaper to a bg from that folder. Then,
> if I open wallpaper cfg dialog, it starts in the .e/e/backgrouunds and
> does not find current wallpaper at this location.  So, there are no
> selection of current wallpaper at all. Then if I enter the A folder I
> still do not have any selection. Therefore, if I have 5 bgs in the dir,
> and the last is the current wallpaper, I cannot immediately see that it
> is selected. Basically, I have to options then. 1) just to remember which
> bg I made current, or 2) to scroll the list and locate it via thumb.
> So, from the user perspective, I have to "think" - what is going on, and
> which bg is the current. iirc, the ideology of good gui is "make user to
> think as less as possible".

yeah - i know this - it doesn't handle subdirs very well. i should fix that.

> > > Please do not kill me with arguments. I basically propose some
> > > ideas/solutions.
> >
> > sure - noted. though i think i will worry about this later - this i consider
> > fine tuning somewhere near the end of development :)
>
> Well, maybe everything that I listed above will go to a fine tuning
> later. :)

> > > --
> > >
> > > Aleksej Struk
> > > Master Degree Student
> > > Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
> > > Faculty of Computer Science
> > > phone: +39-0471-061749
> > > cell phone: +39-3204627049 +370-61278908
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://astruk.googlepages.com/home

> > --
> > ------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------
> > The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > ?$BMg9%B?
> > Tokyo, Japan (?$BEl5~ ?$BF|K\)
>
> --
>
> Aleksej Struk
> Master Degree Student
> Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
> Faculty of Computer Science
> phone: +39-0471-061749
> cell phone: +39-3204627049 +370-61278908
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://astruk.googlepages.com/home

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)