Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman), il 29/08/2006 13:19, scrisse:

>> can I do something to make bytecode looks better (e.g. some options
>> to recompile freetype)?
>
> yes. your distribution policy has turned off bytecode hinting (this is also
> the
> best quality rendering with ttf fonts too as they were designed to allow
> hinting to produce perfect outlines on pixel displays).

no, the package I'm currently using was not build by my distribution
(slackware 10.0).
some time ago I had "bytecode" option greyed out in the font
configuration dialog, so I rebuilt freetype enabling the bytecode
interpreter and bytecode has become a selectable option.
after that i tried to use bytecode hinting, but it didn't produce an
acceptable look to me. with bytecode enabled all my fonts looks
"blurry", with auto hinting I get the best result.

at this moment I'm playing with the font settings, and I'm seeing
that increasing the size of displayed font (from the default 10.0 to
11.0) makes bytecode hinting looks much better.

now, with bytecode hinting, the text of tclock doesn't move anymore
when displaying the number 3... it moves when displaying the number
4... arghh!! :°(

--
       Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
       http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 11 - L'Italia ripudia la guerra come strumento di offesa
alla libertà degli altri popoli e come mezzo di risoluzione delle
controversie internazionali....