On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 10:44:59PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:43:03 +0000 Lut!n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> babbled:
>
> > 2006/11/24, Falko Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
>
> ok- some summary.
>
> 1. e.org pages have not been updated or maintained because we
> anticipated a while back moving to a new webserver, website and a need
> to redo ALL the website. no need to go create content we just need to
> redo again. this has unfortunately been delayed an taken a lot longer
> that thought. we are still waiting.
>
> 2. packages of e17. e17 is unreleased. we do not encourage you to go
> put packages in debian or ubuntu - why? you will piss us off as users
> will just come back to use complaining about bugs or missing features
> when we are not done. it doesn't matter what policies you have or how
> many lines of documentation say not to bother us - they will. they
> will waste our time and patience. we do NOT want e in official debian
> repositories. it just will mean a tonne of support we already don't
> have time for.
>
> if you want e development to halt - then go ahead. but likely it will
> mean just that. users are a burden if you are not prepared for them -
> and we sure as hell are not. they will not be god users and contact
> debian support mechanisms - they will come back to us.
>
> if you want to do packages - put them in a separate apt repository -
> make it harder to get to. this will minimise the impact.

I totally agree here. I've got many people using my repository who
report issues to me directly - which is good - but still many who report
them in IRC as well. What about a Debian postinst warning telling people
to stay clear of feature requests and bug reports for packages on my
repository?

Anyways - I won't urge to put packages in Sid without your approval,
that's for sure.

> as for working together - i absolutely think you should - ubunutu and
> debian basically are the same (from an e perspective anyway) and there
> is little use it duplicating most of the packaging work :)

Yup, good that I asked. I didn't know there was an alioth project around
already :)

Falko