While we're talking about configure... :)
I'm part of the team which packages E for debian, and there's something in
configure we'd really like to see changed (and of course we can provide
patches):
What we think is that when you enable a feature with
--enable-whatever, and if the requirements of that feature are not found,
configure should fail rather than silently disable it.
The rationale for that is that, in our humble opinions, when you package for a
distro, you want the stuff you enable to be actually present - thus, fail
if not found rather than disable and tell nothing.
As per discussion with raster on irc, I'm sure that some people may not want
this behavior, and thus thought we could possibly add a
--whatever-name-we-could-call-it , which implements such behavior (and let the
default as it is)

Thoughts ? (hint: 'this is your distro's problem" is not a valid answer)

Regards,
Albin Tonnerre

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 03:01:32PM -0700, Michael Jennings wrote :
> On Sunday, 30 September 2007, at 16:04:54 (+0200),
> Vincent Torri wrote:
>
> > Since I try to port the efl on windows, I've run into some problems with
> > autofoo (strange, isn't it ?). I've looked a bit at autoconf and libtool
> > doc, and I think that configure.in scripts can be improved a bit.
> >
> > Here is what I propose. Feel free to tell me if my proposals are not
> > correct.

> > Ideas ? remarks ?
>
> Most of that sounds fine, but why not provide us with a sample
> configure.in with examples of all 5 changes made to it so we can get a
> more concrete idea of what you're wanting to do?  Then if people have
> any specific objections, they're easier to note.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)

Albin Tonnerre, aka Lutin
 - Search a little longer, travel a little further