On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:57:03 -0400 dan sinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> On 1-Aug-08, at 8:46 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> >> There is also a bug in Edje that has bitten us in Ewl a few times
> >> where re-using Edje objects seems to cause strange things to hang
> >> around. I believe pfritz was the last person to look into this so he
> >> might have some more information.
> >
> > yeah - i remember this. as such - it is a bug that needs fixing. re-
> > using edje
> > objects i dont think actually buys you much compared to re-using...
> > considering
> > the overhead of setup. :)
>
> When we put in the original object cache in Ewl it was a big win for
> us in terms of performance when we started to add a lot of widgets to
> the application. Nathan would be better to give specifics of the
> speedup as he did the actual work. I don't know if Edje/Evas has sped
> up in the last while so we wouldn't need the cache anymore, would need
> to check.

if its basic objects - the overhead of alloc/setup compared to re-use is large.
for edje - re-use means freeing many structs (or unreffing) and deleting
internal edje objects etc. so sure - there is a gain, but the gain is only in
very original smart object setup alloc. you still pay the price of free/alloc of
internals on re-use and this is probably 95% of the cost of a full
delete/create. that's just what i'm saying :)

> Ewl tries to only have as many Evas objects allocated as are currently
> displayed (not obscured) which is a good win when there are a lot of
> widgets in say a tree.

this is definitely a good thing to do.