On Aug 2, 2008, at 6:55 PM, dan sinclair wrote:

> On 2-Aug-08, at 9:41 PM, Blake Barnett wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:53 PM, dan sinclair wrote:
>>>
>>> It all comes down to when you're doing the 2.0 release. If you do a
>>> 2.0 release in a few months it looks like we just rushed a 1.0 out
>>> the
>>> door to say we had a 1.0. Major releases should last a few
>>> _years_. If
>>> we're seriously considering ripping out Embryo in a few _months_
>>> that's a pretty good sign it isn't ready to be released yet.
>>>
>>> If we know we're going to rip out Embryo and we push out Edje with
>>> Embryo scripting just to remove it in the next release it isn't
>>> going
>>> to make people happy. They'll have to port all their themes to the
>>> new
>>> scripting language.
>>>
>>> We're better to wait until we have a foundation we want to work from
>>> to get there.
>>>

>> Sorry, please take a reality check here.  E17 has been in development
>> for nearly 10 years.  The libraries have been fairly stable feature-
>> wise for ages.  Bite the bullet!  Release it.  Don't rip out embryo,
>> add a CLR-like thing or something down the road if another language
>> is
>> absolutely necessary (which I think is really unlikely).  The
>> development life-cycle of this project is non-existent, how do you
>> know what's necessary without a broad user base demanding it?  It's
>> good enough!  The EFL has been since Edje was written and Eet took
>> over for Edb.
>>

> Sure, the EFL has been around for a while. That also implies people
> have been using it for a while and possibly found issues with it.
> Themers have already stepped up and said they've had issues with
> Embryo.
>

>> Developers are horrible at making these decisions.  Maybe the folks
>> at
>> one of the commercial companies using E would be willing to donate
>> the
>> time of an actual product manager or something to help here.  As
>> mentioned before a release manager is crucial, someone who can make
>> mandates and have them followed.
>
> Um, they can certainly try to set release schedules but unless that
> company starts paying a bunch of EFL developers to do the code and
> get it integrated they don't really mean anything.

It wouldn't make sense for a company to donate the time of a product
manager if they didn't also have developers working on the code.  Of
course it has to be reasonable for those involved to meet the
deadlines.  But just _having_ deadlines is a fairly good motivator,
even for those just volunteering their time.  It works for other
projects...

-Blake