Ive been giving this a little more thought, and I suspect
e/widgets/preview should probably be capable of rendering something a
little more interesting than a boring swallow. Perhaps the wallpaper
wih a shelf clone and a button? I jut think this could be used better
than just a wallpaper. Alternatively, exchange might be able to
download a specific group of a theme and render that instead of
grabbing a whole edj files. If its possible or not, is another
question.

What im tryng to say is:
Exchange extracts a button, a dialog, a wallpaper and a shelf from the
theme. Creates a scaled down 'preview' edj from that then send it to
the user for previewing. Issue there is server load, but it could be a
1 off when the theme is uploaded.

The preview edj is then downloaded when previewing and is used on a
widget that uses these preview edje parts. The can then interact with
the preview before deciding to download, which gets them the whole
theme.

Its a bit wishful but its a bit more exciting than an image. Also
takes away some of the work of the themer. It would require some more
thought though.

Toma.