Kim Woelders schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> It is annoying that Eterm doesn't handle utf8. Here is a half-baked
> patch that might inspire somebody (Michael? :) ) to do it properly.

Or maybe one gsoc student :).

> Beware! This patch breaks things in non-utf8 locales, probably doesn't
> work on big-endian platforms, and is not suited for anything except
> playing around.
>
> That said, things seem to work fairly well with e.g. LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> and selecting a "good" font, e.g.
> Eterm -F -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1
>
> With -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-ja-13-120-75-75-c-120-iso10646-1 it
> even looks like Japanese and Korean is rendered correctly but there is
> some weirdness with column stepping (every second column is skipped).

I've seen in your patch that you are converting the text to ucs-2. which
is, as you probably know, only a subset of unicode 4.0 and hence doesn't
cover all UTF-8 supported characters. I guess that most (probably all)
Unicode character beyond the scope of ucs-2 aren't used widely. I doubt
that someone uses "Ancient Greek Musical Notation"-characters in a
terminal application, but wouldn't it be better to support the whole
UTF-8 character set, even if it is only for the sake of completeness?

Peter