On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Viktor Kojouharov <vkojouha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 14:22 +0400, Sergey Semernin wrote:
>> Hello, Dave!
>>
>> I see you importing 'places' into efm2.
>> I'm starting work on efm2 too, because i have plans for E17 use and
>> interesting first a robust, usable file manager.
>> I can help you. What tasks are remaining exactly?
>>
>> In my view there are several major improvements: removable devices mount with
>> correct fstab processing (so devices can be mounting properly when fstab
>> corresponding fstab records exists); grid representation in fileman window
>> with name, type, size, access rights, etc.; toolbar in file manager window
>> with most using operations.
>>
>> What about background/color set GUI, rename in place, progress indication?
> We should take the in-place to a whole new level, and remove as many
> dialogs as we can. The only dialog that should stay is the properties
> one, since it is quite big. Every other dialog should go as an overlay
> to the e_fm window that spawned it.

problem: window can be too small.

problem specifically to rename in place: text can grow outside the
viewport and it will be unusable. elementary suffers from that a lot,
needs to be solved somehow generically.

> Some type of status overlay that displays useful info on the selected
> item (or is hidden if nothing is selected) would also be nice.

yes, I'd say like a statusbar, but nicely overlayed.

> the rest just need love and bug cleaning :)
>

> btw, what do you guys think if these ideas:
>
> Having a gadcon on the left/right side to display some info, like a
> directory tree or a list of favourites?

isn't it your drawer stuff?!

> Using the .gtk-bookmarks instead of the current favourites (if the first
> supports things other than directories)

I'm pro it, at least firefox and other apps would use it. However kde
apps do not share the same thing, so maybe have an option to try/use
both, as some users will just not use gtk apps.

> Using a toolbar to open different locations within the same e_fm window?

that's efm_nav, no?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems