On Wednesday 09 September 2009 22:17:48 you wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:04:35 -0400 P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> said:
> > On Wednesday 09 September 2009 21:15:25 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > > On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 20:46:53 -0400 P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com>
> > > said:
> > >
> > > you won't like this.... but e_remote and e's ipc are scheduled for
> > > death (removal). 1. we have a dbu api already for e, 2. this includes
> > > the core set of ops needed, 3. it's expandable by modules. the
> > > maintenance of ipc_handlers is painful. i want to nuke it. so... since
> > > it's scheduled for death... this will be a "wontfix" :)
> >
> > My scripts just got more complex then  :(
> > (and my e17 config backup scripts have stopped working)
>
> e_remote doesnt expose all of e's config anyay. it has not
> been expanded to include new config for years. just copy the config files
>  if u want to back up. hell - e backs up its own config these days. look at
>  the file.1.cfg, file.2, .3, .4 etc. - each one is a successive backup - up
>  to 9 previous versions are kept and e will fall back to previous versions
>  if the new(er) ones are empty/corrupt. technically this also allows for
>  config rollback if u made a booboo. no ui provided atm, but someone could
>  brewup something in a module etc..

Oh. So, *that's* what those numbered config files are! I have always wondered!

> > Also, I can't seem to get a list of modules which are currently enabled.
> > qdbusviewer shows me that there is a Method:List. So I gave the following
> > command:
> >
> > ~> qdbus org.enlightenment.wm.service /org/enlightenment/wm/RemoteObject
> > org.enlightenment.wm.Module.List
> > qdbus: I don't know how to display an argument of type 'a(si)'
>
> dunno. sounds like your tools are inadequate. i've used d-feet myself if u
>  want a ui to play with the dbus api's. :)

qdbus and qdbusviewer are provided by qt-dbus. qdbusviewer, a GUI, can show
most but not all the output,- that is, it shows all the Methods available but
it is unable to show the output for some Methods. Following your hint, I tried
the dbus-send command itself, which comes with the dbus installation. It works
fine:
~> dbus-send --print-reply=literal --dest=org.enlightenment.wm.service
/org/enlightenment/wm/RemoteObject org.enlightenment.wm.Module.List
   array [
      struct {
         gadman         int32 1
      }
      struct {
         systray         int32 1
<snipped>.
So, it was a bug in qdbus,- there goes another easy to use command :'( (dbus-
send is a horror of a command).

> > The other commands seem to work. Perhaps it is a work in progress?
> > Anyway, thanks for the clarification regarding the status of
> > enlightenment_remote.
>
> no. not a work in progress. has worked for many moons now. many many many
> moons. :)

Yes, it does work. Mainly some "core commands" as you pointed out :P
Thanks!