On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Hugo Camboulive
<hugo.camboul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I recompiled evas to a version before the shader rewrite of the
> engine (ie : Oct 9, 2009). It works smoothly again (cpu usage drops
> from ~20% with software_x11 down to 5-10% with opengl_x11)
>
> However, I'm not sure it's a good idea to have such a 'high'
> requirement as SM3.0 :
> If i'm not misunderstood, lots of low power (like netbooks) systems
> still have a 945GM chipset (which is powerful enough to run an
> accelerated desktop with compiz & co!).
>
> It could also be a nice improvement to test for SM3.0 support at
> initialization of the plugin. Just throwing ideas ;)

It's a trade off. The new API is much easier and covers both GL and
GL-ES. The old one did not, and it will likely go away... so why
bother maintaining it since we do not have enough human resources? :-)

And really, with newer Mesa and their Gallium 3d work you can get fast
software replacement for operations not supported by your video card,
just like MacOS X does (they go the complex way and handle their
drivers handle the corner cases some hardwares do not implement, they
also use LLVM to JIT optimize it).

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems