On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:57:52 -0700 Dave Ray <cl...@jonive.com> said:

>> > did you read **carefully** the above line. See the
>> >
>> > -llua
>>
>> No I didn't read carefully. My bad. Ok, I retried it with -llua and
>> EDJE compiled just fine. Thanks you!
>>
>> I share your frustration with the LUA implementation.
>
> this is a fundamental issue with lua upstream. they simply don't want to join
> the modern world. if you want to use lua upstream directly-as-is... you will
> continue to have such problems. i know i'm in no mood to work around such
> silliness. ALL they need to do is provide a .pc file - a single tiny text
> file.
> the work has already been done for them by several linux distributions. it
> gets
> patched to provide this file and to also build shared libraries (.so's
> vs .a's).
> as such my suggestion is to find and adopt the patches applied by linux
> distributions to your lua install. sanity will then be restored.

What about adding the lua source as a single file in Edje? It's pretty
common for projects to do that, since Edje is not supposed to run
arbitrary Lua scripts, why bother having that as a dependency?

By design Lua is an embeddable language/runtime. A trimmed version
without some libs that aren't enabled can be around 90k. Edje itself
weights around 600k on my system.

Again, just a thought. They are not "refusing to join the modern
world". It's you that are choosing not to follow their guidelines and
embed lua ;)

[]s

Eduardo.